Monday, April 26, 2010

I'd Like To Request A Song

7. According to Hillard, or so he says on page 309, todays deejay, producer, and or writer is the one who will determine the mold of what is considered todays popular music. People in these positions need to have a vast knowledge of music, and what is up and coming, and what is just in the past

I thought this was interesting, because this isn't how I thought things were done. I assumed that people would call in, request songs, or writers would just look at the top 100 songs. For a long time, I wanted to be a sound tracker. I wanted to be the person who put the music to moments in shows and movies. I found myself going on MySpace and trying to find new, unheard of bands that had the type of indie feel like The O.C. or Grey's Anatomy music (those are done by the same sound tracker). This is true, however, the more I think about it. To understand music is to understand what's popular with the times. You have to be the one who is creating the moment to really understand what song goes along best with. Photo by Dan Curtis.

No comments:

Post a Comment