Monday, April 26, 2010

PSA Say Whaa?

5. On page 195 Hillard talks about how when programs stress about information things, such as acid rain, animal cruelty, cancer, etc. this becomes production along the lines of a documentary. The reason I found this to be important is because until I read this, I never realized that I didn't know the difference between a documentary and a PSA.


A documentary aims to teach you something, to give you knowledge that you didn't previously have, where a PSA which is encouraging you to do something good. A lot of people do PSA announcements on both large and small scales. One that has always stuck out to me is the PSA that was done on Scrubs, shown in the video above. It's encouraging you not to do something, even if this one is being used as a joke. But it's a perfect example of PSA production techniques being used in a different means of media.

I love documentaries, they are my favorite fils to watch, because I always feel like I'm getting something from the movies rather then laughing at dumb humor. I have great respect for those who makes them, as in some cases--like Theo Van Gogh--you're risking your like for your message to be heard and exposing the truth. If I was to go into production, this would be the road I would want to go down.


No comments:

Post a Comment