Monday, April 26, 2010

3. Hillard says there are no real differences between writing a commercial and writing a PSA, on page 79. When I first read this, I was really surprised, but the more I think about it in the semester, the more I realize it makes perfect sense.

Commercials are from companies, with the goal in mind to get you to make a purchase, using strategies and techniques that we dont see with the naked, untrained eye. A PSA is straight, to the point, and encouraging you to do something good. However, a PSA uses the same techniques that we dont see because they still have to persuade us into acting upon their message. They are both for my benefit. I'm gaining factual knowledge, and I'm also getting a new product. As someone interested in advertising and or public relations, this is very helpful information to have.

There are even cases where known cartoon characters will work as a PSA to gain publicity for themselves, but also get the attention of the target audience to get the PSA message across. This is well known with the old GI Joe PSAs, pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment